"Gaydreams" audio recordings
Scope and Content Note
This collection consists of dozens of audio recordings of the Gaydreams radio show in several formats: reel-to-reels, audiocassettes, and digital audio tapes (DAT). Most of the tapes are well labeled with broadcast date and interviewees (including Edmund White and Greg Louganis) or weekly theme.
- 1989 - 1995
- Gaydreams (Radio show : Philadelphia, Pa.). (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access Note
Contact John J. Wilcox Jr. LGBT Archives of Philadelphia for information about accessing this collection.
When Sunshine Gaydreams debuted in 1974 it was the first weekly gay radio program on the East Coast, and perhaps in the United States. Its creator was John Zeh. The hour-long gay issues program, broadcast over the University of Pennsylvania's public station WXPN-FM, soon shortened its name to Gaydreams. In 1996 the show was taken over by Robert Drake, who renamed it Q'zine while shifting the focus to a greater emphasis on music and arts. Q'zine is still broadcasting as of 2012.
Sterling, Christopher H. and Michael C. Keith. Sounds of Change: A History of FM Broadcasting in America. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2008. Page 135.
WXPN. "Q'zine." Accessed July 2, 2012. http://xpn.org/xpn-programs/qzine.
2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Gaydreams was among the first gay radio programs in the United States when it debuted in 1974 on the University of Pennsylvania's public radio station WXPN out of Philadelphia. The Gaydreams audio recordings, 1989-1995, consist of dozens of tapes of the radio show in several formats.
East wall, alcove
General Physical Description note
Processing Information Note
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR), using data provided by the John J. Wilcox Jr. LGBT Archives of Philadelphia. The HCI-PSAR project was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was done in the HCI-PSAR project.
- "Gaydreams" audio recordings, 1989-1995
- Finding aid prepared by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the John J. Wilcox Jr. LGBT Archives of Philadelphia
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- This preliminary finding aid was created by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) using data provided by the John J. Wilcox Jr. LGBT Archives of Philadelphia. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.