ACT UP Philadelphia records
Scope and Content Note
This small collection contains email correspondence, notes from meetings with experts and persons with HIV/AIDS, and some flyers related to HIV/AIDS and ACT UP events.
- 1995 - 2000
- ACT UP Philadelphia (Organization). (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access Note
Contact John J. Wilcox Jr. LGBT Archives of Philadelphia for information about accessing this collection.
"ACT UP stands for the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power. [It is] a diverse, non-partisan group, united in anger, and committed to ending the AIDS crisis through direct action. Since its inception, ACT UP has used a diversity of direct action tactics to address social inequities that threaten people living with HIV/AIDS and those at risk of infection, both in Philadelphia and around the world. The AIDS pandemic closely follows the fault lines of broader social injustice. [They] continue to strive to end the AIDS crisis within the context/through a lens of ending health disparities that are a clear result of inequality and injustice."
ACT UP was founded in New York City in March of 1987. ACT UP Philadelphia, founded in 1988, was the second chapter. The organization is still active as of 2012.
Quoted text from: ACT UP Philadelphia. "About ACT UP." Accessed June 26, 2012. http://www.actupphilly.org/about.html.
J. de Marco, Y. Speaker, B. Green, C. Gossett, S. Sitrin, V. Parks, V. Sowell, S. McGill, J. Barbieri. "Does the AIDS Movement Still Need ACT UP? Lessons from ACT UP Philadelphia on Changing Tactics for a Changing Epidemic." Poster presented at AIDS 2012 (Washington, D.C.) Accessed July 2, 2012. http://actupphilly.blogspot.com/2012/06/act-up-philly-at-iac-w-sneak-peek-of.html
0.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP) is an activist group working to end the HIV/AIDS crisis through direct action. The ACT UP Philadelphia records, 1995-2000, consist of correspondence, meeting notes, and ephemera.
General Physical Description note
Processing Information Note
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR), using data provided by the John J. Wilcox Jr. LGBT Archives of Philadelphia. The HCI-PSAR project was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was done in the HCI-PSAR project.
- ACT UP Philadelphia records, 1995-2000
- Finding aid prepared by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the John J. Wilcox Jr. LGBT Archives of Philadelphia
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- This preliminary finding aid was created by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) using data provided by the John J. Wilcox Jr. LGBT Archives of Philadelphia. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.